Thomas H. Burton III
Thomas H. Burton III has been practicing law in Harris County for more than a decade. His diverse experience has helped clients in an array of legal matters, from protecting an abused child to starting a business. His aim since founding his firm in 2007 has been to provide affordable, highly competent representation.
Colleagues recognize his knowledge and frequently seek his counsel in complex cases. He often is asked to share his expertise in continuing legal education training seminars presented by the state and national bars and by universities. In his role as general counsel for Justice for Children he has testified several times before Congressional subcommittees.
As an avid cyclist and outdoorsman, he understands dedication to a goal and that perseverance is rewarded with success.
- University of Houston Law Center, Juris Doctor, 1998
- Texas A & M University, B.A. (History), 1989
- Attorney at Law, licensed by State Bar of Texas in May 1999
- SBOT No. 24009927
- Feature story in Texas Lawyer magazine’s In House, March 2009
- Houston PBS
- The Connection (CPS reform), May 2005
- The Connection (Parental Alienation ‘Syndrome’), November 2005
- Featured guest on The Justice Hour with Lisa Macci, September 2008
- The Mike Mollett Radio Show for Justice for Children, August 2007
- Featured guest on The Constitution, Houston Public Access TV (“Is the Law on Our Children’s Side?”), May 2005
- Various television interviews by local news media, 2005 – present
- Principal, Burton Law Firm, 2007- present. Solo practitioner dedicated to family law, personal injury and general law practice.
- General counsel, Justice For Children, Houston, Texas — 2004 – 2011. Responsible for all aspects of litigation and legal representation for a national non-profit organization providing advocacy in cases of child abuse. Recruited, trained and assisted pro bono lawyers to represent children’s interests. Developed creative strategies, provided direct advocacy in litigated cases.
- Attorney at law, Houston, Texas; practiced primarily in areas of insurance defense, personal injury, appellate and litigation.
- 2002 – 2004. Responsible for large docket of litigated cases as senior associate attorney in trial and appellate firm; hired, trained and supervised associates.
- 2001 – 2002. Managed large docket of litigated product liability and personal injury cases.
- 1999 – 2001. Evaluated and resolved complex insurance liability claims for large insurer; extensive deposition and mediation practice.
- 1998 – 1999. Handled mid-sized docket of civil litigation cases for insurance defense firm.